Serves: 8 • Time: 15 minutes
French toast is a widely adored breakfast staple, and in this stuffed french toast recipe, Brandi Kolmer uses rich challah bread and the jam from the Portugal Box to turn the standard into the fantastic. We know what we’re having for breakfast tomorrow. Still need to subscribe? Use promo COCOA to get 15% off your order!
- 1 loaf challah, cut into 2 inch slices
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp. Quinta de Jugais RARE pumpkin and hazelnut jam
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts, plus more for serving
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- Maple syrup, for serving
1. Using a serrated knife, cut halfway into each slice of challah along its crust to create a pocket.
2. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and jam and mix together until homogeneous. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
3. Insert the cream cheese mixture into each challah pocket, then dunk each slice into the milk-and-egg mixture to soak. Distribute the hazelnuts onto the bread.
4. Heat the butter in a skillet over moderate-high heat. Add a slice of bread and cook until golden-brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side, about 3 minutes more.
5. Serve warm with additional hazelnuts and maple syrup.
[shopify embed_type=”collection” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”magazine-pasteis-de-nata”]