Makes: 8 pancakes • Time: 15 minutes
Sunchokes are a unique and flavorful vegetable that add an alluring flavor to these potato pancakes. Be sure to squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the potato-sunchoke mixture; you can’t get crisp cakes if the starches are wet!
- 1 russet potato, peeled and grated
- ½ lb. sunchokes (also known as Jerusalem artichokes), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ qt. vegetable oil
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Hafi lingonberry jam, for serving
1. Combine the shredded potato and sunchokes and transfer to a cheesecloth or clean paper towel. Squeeze out the excess moisture, then transfer to a bowl. Add the egg, flour, and salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Using your hands, form the potato mixture into flat cakes. Carefully drop the cakes into the hot oil and fry until golden-brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the cakes to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
3. Garnish each pancake with a dollop of sour cream and serve with lingonberry jam.
[shopify embed_type=”collection” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”magazine-cake”]