Serves: 5 • Time: 20 minutes
An excellent breakfast or brunch dish, these baked eggs are delicious with crusty bread for sopping up the leftover sauce and creamy egg yolk. While the baked eggs recipe works with standard finishing salt, the sea salt and lemon from the Portugal Box adds bright notes to this rich and satisfying meal.
- 2 Tbsp. Olivais do Sul extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp. Casa da Prisca caramelized onions with port wine
- 5 eggs
- 2 oz. fresh, crumbly cheese, such as queso fresco or feta; cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 oz. sharp cheddar, grated
- 2 oz. Parmesan, freshly grated
- ½ tsp. Hands on Earth sea salt and lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Heat a heavy-bottomed or cast iron skillet (make sure it’s oven-safe!) over moderate heat. Add the olive oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Mix in the oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and allow to cook until the shallots become translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the liquid from the can of whole tomatoes, then, using your hands, break apart the whole tomatoes and add them to pan. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook until the mixture thickens, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the peas.
4. Using a spoon, create 5 wells within the tomato mixture. Spoon the caramelized onions into each well, then crack an egg on top of the caramelized onions.
5. Distribute the fresh cheese into the tomato mixture around the eggs. Sprinkle the entire preparation with cheddar and Parmesan.
6. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the eggs are set, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot.
[shopify embed_type=”collection” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”magazine-portuguese-baked-eggs”]