Serves: 4 as an appetizer • Time: 15 minutes
Typically enjoyed for breakfast and called pa amb tomàquet in Catalan, Pan con Tomate is traditionally made by rubbing a ripe tomato on a toasted piece of day-old bread. In a twist on the classic, Powell uses jarred tumaca sauce from the Spain Box to make the preparation even easier. Sliced heirloom tomatoes add an extra punch of tomato flavor.
- 4 slices of crusty bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced in half
- 4 Tbsp. tumaca sauce
- 4 small heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- Paprika, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Place the bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until very toasted, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the hot bread from the oven and rub each slice with half a garlic clove. Spread 1 tablespoon tumaca sauce on each slice. Arrange the tomato slices over each piece, season with salt, and garnish with paprika.
[shopify embed_type=”collection” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”magazine-pan-con-tomate”]