Adapted from Eileen Smith | Serves: 4 • Time: 50 minutes plus 2 days marinating
This traditional, vegetable dish is a perfect side for barbecued steak. Serve with extra chimichurri at the table.
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. chimichurri
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt and place in a colander to drain for 30 minutes. Brush off the salt and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the eggplant slices with the vinegar and bay leaves until tender, about 4 minutes, then drain. In a medium serving bowl, combine the olive oil, chimichurri, oregano, garlic, and red pepper. Add the eggplant and carefully toss to combine. Refrigerate for 2 days. Serve at room temperature.
[shopify embed_type=”collection” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”magazine-marinated-eggplant”]