Serves: 8 to 10 • Time: 45 minutes
It might sound like The Lion King‘s “Hakuna Matata,” but this preparation is actually a popular Moroccan street food. And just in case they weren’t already good enough on their own, the harissa dipping sauce amps up the flavor and heat. You’ll want to make a second batch of potato pancakes as soon as you finish the first.
Ingredients For Maakouda Batata
- 1½ lbs. yellow potatoes, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1½ tsp. Safran & Epices Prestige kefta spice blend
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 egg
- Peanut oil, for frying
Ingredients For Harissa Sauce
- ¼ cup Pikarome harissa
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
Directions For Maakouda Batata
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, boil the potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a heavy skillet over moderate-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes. Add the cooled onion mixture, kefta spice blend, salt, and cilantro and mix until thoroughly combined. Mix in the egg to obtain a thick batter.
- In a heavy skillet, bring 1 inch of oil to 375°F. Working in batches, shape the potato mixture into 3-inch long patties and carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the patty from the skillet and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with Harissa Dipping Sauce.
Directions For Harissa Sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the harissa and mayo until homogenous, then season with pepper. Refrigerate until serving.