Serves 8 • Time: 2 hours
With warming spices and filling lentils, this soup is comforting and satisfying. Be sure not to skimp on the olive oil and yogurt sauce—it tempers the subtle heat of the soup.
Ingredients For Harira Soup
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. kefta spice blend [shopify embed_type=”product” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”kefta-rub-1″ show=”button-only”]
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- Two 28 oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 Tbsp. harissa [shopify embed_type=”product” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”moroccan-harissa” show=”button-only”]
- Olive Oil and Yogurt Sauce, to serve (recipe below)
Ingredients For Olive Oil and Yogurt Sauce
- 6 oz. Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Safran & Epices Prestige kefta spice blend
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
Directions For Harira Soup
- In a large pot over moderate-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion just begins to color, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the kefta spice blend, cumin, and cayenne, season with salt, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cilantro and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the brown and red lentils, harissa, and 8 cups of water. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the lentils are cooked through, about 1½ hours. If the soup becomes too thick, add more water.
- If necessary, adjust the seasoning with additional salt, harissa, and kefta spice blend. To serve, distribute into 8 serving bowls and garnish with a dollop of yogurt and additional chopped cilantro.
Directions For Olive Oil and Yogurt Sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the oil and yogurt, then whisk in the kefta spice blend, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.