This rustic and filling dish from South America – a flavorful steak with a trademark egg on top – has been made Chilean due to the use of merkén, a spice made from smoked chili peppers. The potatoes are roasted until golden brown and make for an excellent side with the rich meat. Be sure to not fully cook the yolk, so that when the steak and egg are cut, the warm yolk covers the beef. Yum!
Serves: 2 | Time: 45 minutes, plus marinating time
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil[shopify embed_type=”product” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”arbequina-extra-virgin-olive-oil” show=”button-only”]
- 1 Tbsp. merkén spice
- 2 lbs. flank steak
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. Canola oil
- 1 egg
- Make a marinade with the olive oil, merken, garlic, and lemon. In a large glass dish, pour marinade over steak, cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours..
- Bring steak to room temperature (about 15 min).
- Bring a cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat. Sear steak on each side for about 5-7 minutes, or until desired doneness. Remove and let steak rest.
- In the still-hot skillet, fry egg and serve over steak. Season to taste.
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil[shopify embed_type=”product” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”organic-extra-virgin-olive-oil” show=”button-only”]
- 1 tsp. sea salt with pebre
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. merkén spice
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, combine onion, olive oil, sea salt with pebra, garlic, and merkén. Toss with halved red bliss potatoes.
- Spread onto baking dish and roast in oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.