Serves: 2 • Time: 20 minutes
All it takes to dress up a simple bell pepper is a gas stove, olive oil, vinegar, and salt. Here, Chef George Mendes chars the peppers until they become soft, marinates them in a simple dressing, and serves them with the canned fish from the Portugal Box.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tsp. Olivais do Sul extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt
- One 2.4 oz. can Briosa Gourmet jack mackerel or spiced mackerel
- 1 tsp. chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1 lemon wedge, for serving
1. Carefully place the bell pepper directly onto the burner of a gas stovetop set to high. Cook the pepper until completely blackened, using tongs to rotate it over the flame, about 10 minutes. Once the pepper is completely black, transfer it to a bowl and immediately cover with plastic wrap to trap the steam.
2. Once the pepper is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and cut into ½ inch slices. Transfer back to the bowl and season with the olive oil, vinegar, and salt.
3. Distribute the canned fish onto 2 serving plates. Add the bell peppers and garnish with parsley. Serve with the lemon wedge.
This recipe is adapted from George Mendes’s My Portugal, published by Abrams Books in 2014. To purchase the book and discover more recipes by Chef Mendes, visit your local bookstore. The book will also be available on Try The World’s Shop soon!
[shopify embed_type=”collection” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”magazines-mackerel”]