Serves: 4 as an appetizer • Time: 10 minutes
Now that the warm weather is back, we’re heading to farmers’ markets to pick up colorful heirloom tomatoes. What’s our favorite way to eat them? This simple tomato salad by Chef George Mendes. Plus, it’s a wonderful showcase of the olive oil from the Portugal Box.
- 4 medium-sized heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into ½ inch slices
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp. coarsely chopped mint leaves
- 2 tsp. thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp. Olivais do Sul extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Fleur de sel finishing salt
- Freshly ground pepper, preferably white
1. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, mint, and thyme. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and gently toss to coat evenly.
2. To serve, transfer the tomatoes to a serving bowl or plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
This recipe is adapted from George Mendes’s My Portugal, published by Abrams Books in 2014. To purchase the book and discover more recipes by Chef Mendes, visit your local bookstore. The book will also be available on Try The World’s Shop soon!
[shopify embed_type=”collection” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”magazine-tomato-salad”]