Serves: 4 • Time: 30 minutes
Caldo Verde (literally translated as “green broth”) is every Portuguese mother and grandmother’s secret remedy for the common cold. However, you don’t need to be under the weather to enjoy this delicious Portuguese soup recipe featuring sausage, kale, and the piri piri hot sauce from the Portugal Box.
- ¼ cup Olivais do Sul extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. pork sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- Pinch of Hands on Earth sea salt and lemon
- 2 potatoes, diced
- ½ lb. Lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped
- Paladin piri piri hot sauce, for serving
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until the fat is rendered and the sausage is browned, about 7 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl, leaving the fat in the saucepan.
2. Add the onion, garlic, and salt and cook until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook 2 minutes more.
3. Pour 4 cups water into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Using a fork against the side of the saucepan, mash about half of the potatoes to thicken the soup. Add the chopped kale and cook until the kale wilts, about 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage and its juice to the saucepan. Taste and season with salt.
5. Distribute the soup into 4 serving bowls and serve with piri piri sauce on the side.
[shopify embed_type=”collection” shop=”try-the-world.myshopify.com” product_handle=”magazine-caldo-verde”]